Fleet managers and directors in the construction industry are rapidly adopting new technology. The construction industry in the United States is predicted to grow significantly in the coming years, and the field is being transformed by new technological devices and innovations.Read on to discover the best examples of construction technology to boost on-the-field management on all your jobsites.
The Best Examples of Construction Technology Used On-Site
1) Wearable Technology The rise of wearable technology like Google Glass creates significant new opportunities for the construction industry. Your managers and workers can use wearable technology in the field to easily view blueprints and work instructions, monitor workers’ health and well-being, take photographs and video and communicate with faraway coworkers.
2) In-Cab Cameras To improve safety and security, you can install in-cab cameras in your construction vehicles. The cameras can assist with vehicle training and monitor workers’ driving and performance while on the job. Some companies are even using recorded photos and video in the event of an accident or insurance claim to verify and support their worker’s actions and decisions.
3) Drones You can use unmanned aerial vehicles, better known as drones, to venture into places that humans and ground-based vehicles could only dream of reaching. From high up in the air, drones can easily take progress pictures and aerial surveys, using their on-board cameras to obtain high-resolution photographs and video and sending the results back down to earth.
4) LIDAR Light Detection and Ranging (LIDAR) technology is used on the field to check the security and suitability of the site. LIDAR scanning can document the existing conditions of infrastructure or facilities to make sure that the blueprints match the physical reality, minimizing the risk that your teams will encounter a stray underground pipe or physical anomaly during construction.
5) Phablets The use of “phablets,” mobile devices with a screen size somewhere between a smartphone and a tablet computer, is on the upswing at construction sites. Phablets combine the communication ability of smartphones and the larger screen size of tablets, allowing your employees to view drawings and detailed reports.
While all five of these trends have already made their impact in on-the-field construction management, they are only part of the technological changes that will transform the construction industry. For example, construction software is moving more and more into the cloud, and designers can use software like Autodesk and Sefaira to perform energy analysis of their prototypes. With the pace of technological innovation poised to accelerate, the construction industry is perfectly positioned to take advantage of these events in years to come.
Today, our solutions are used to optimize and manage over 70,000 assets across 40 countries by some of the largest rail, construction, and commercial fleet organizations in the world. Experience our enterprise-focused solutions, robust capabilities, and customer-oriented culture.
We Think You Might Like This:
A Customer Story: BSM Redeploys Geotab, Improves Bottom-line for Prominent US Utility Service Provider
This week in our blog series, we feature a US utility service provider who realized the benefits of an existing Geotab fleet management solution after partnering with BSM. An 80 year old company with 2300 highly skilled stakeholders across 13 states – three key...read more
Smart cities—or the idea of converting your city to a smart city—is gaining in popularity around the world. It seems everywhere we look, cities are strategizing ways to incorporate smart city technologies and pilot programs. This week we’re joined by Chris Jackson,...read more
When an organization announces something new and exciting just as we’ve done with BSM Illuminate, it’s easy to let the future and all it has in store for our customers and the industry to overshadow the foundation of an organization. That’s why we’re taking a moment...read more
Request a Free Demo
Our dedicated solution advisors will contact you within 2 business days.