Route optimization software can be of significant value to busy fleet managers and the overall enterprise. The following list represents some of the many benefits of route optimation:
- Reducing Fuel Costs: a significant benefit since fleet managers report how fuel costs account for more than 30 percent of overall expenses
- Reducing Vehicle Maintenance Costs: Less time spent on the road will reduce the need for maintenance on fleet vehicles. Vehicles can stay in active rotation for a greater number of trips before they must be pulled out for necessary mileage-based care and the loss of functional time is also reduced as vehicles spend fewer hours undergoing maintenance and more hours in service.
- Reducing TCO (total cost of ownership), by reducing wear-and-tear.
- Lowering violations, accidents, and associated costs. Drivers spend less time on the road when a fleet is routed properly. That, in turn, means less exposure to the elements, traffic, and safety risks, thereby positively impacting a fleet’s insurance premiums and cutting expensive liability costs. Less time on the road is also a safety benefit for the fleet – the safest miles are the miles never driven.
7. Reduce Avoidable Transportation Delays – Traffic bottlenecks are an ongoing problem for fleets and drivers — one that only continues to increase over time. A recent report found that congestion adds an average of more than $5,600 per truck per year to fleet operational costs. Fleet optimization software can reduce these costs in several ways. First, these tools can help fleet managers and drivers plan routes that avoid congestion, shortening transportation times without costing more overall for a longer route. Route optimization also allows fleet managers to provide real-time assistance and alternative routes to drivers who find themselves in an unexpected traffic delay.
9. Right sizes the number of vehicles in the fleet — Optimizing fleet operations can result in reassessing the number of vehicles that are really needed to be productive. With the right route optimization tools on their side, fleet managers may find they need fewer vehicles to do the same amount of work. With fewer vehicles there are fewer drivers, less fuel costs, and less maintenance. That adds up to a major cost reduction for the enterprise.
The benefits of route optimization software is vast, as it is a powerful tool that many industries can use to make their fleets significantly more efficient and profitable. These digital tools help fleets better meet their goals of making deliveries in the shortest amount of time and with the lowest costs. As fleet needs continue to become more complex, route optimization tools, such as BSM mobi.route and BSM mobi.dispatch are becoming an essential feature for fleet management success.
You might also be interested in the following post: What is Route Optimization?
Today, our solutions are used to optimize and manage over 70,000 assets across 40 countries by some of the largest rail, construction, and commercial fleet organizations in the world. Experience our enterprise-focused solutions, robust capabilities, and customer-oriented culture.
We Think You Might Like This:
We’re joined again this week by Joel Waithman, Senior Channel Manager here at BSM. We sat down with Joel to get his perspective on what companies and organizations should look for when choosing a telematics partner, and more specifically, the right Geotab partner. ...read more
The digital era is transforming railroads. To stay lean and competitive, it’s vital for rail companies to rely on telematics software and the Internet of Things (IoT) …read more
This week marks the second installment in our blog series on big data, and for this article we sat down with Joel Waithman, a Senior Channel Manager here at BSM to get an expert’s perspective on big data, and how he’s seeing it being used by BSM customers. BSM Blog...read more